Scotland Proper



The ride from Annan to my next destination Failfield was another glorious day and yet again even though I thought I had put on plenty of sun cream got the backs of my legs scalded.
As usual within an hour of arriving at my host house I called to let them know that I was about to arrive.
A little surprised they said they would be ready to wave out the door at me when I got there.
It turned out that they were expecting me the next day and so had a bit of a surprise when I called. On my arrival they asked me what I would like to eat and then went next door to order it from the pub. All very civilised really.
As I was eating and talking to Derek about my journey so far he asked me what had inspired the choice of charity that I am raising money for? I explained that I had seen this promotional advert on the TV with this teenage lad called Alastair. He then told me that his parent lived just round the corner and that he would give them a call. Kim and Robert were delightful and said they would like to come across for a quick chat. We met in the pub and enjoyed quite an emotional hour as they told me about his illness and determination to make a difference before his eventual death, as he knew that the final cancer hit was incurable.
To date he has raised over £200.000, spoken in Parliament, met Tony Blair and with others really pushed the profile of Teenage Cancer and it's devestating effects into the public eye.
Derek and Cath my hosts were going across to a local barn dance in memory of a dear friend and with the aim of raising funds for a charity close to their heart. Derek spoke to the organiser,Dougie about me and he invited me up onto the stage to explain my bike ride and the charity I was raising money for. Being local to Alastair they were all sympathetic to what I am doing and collected £150.00 for me. I became a minor celebrity for a few minutes, very good for my ego I must say!
The next day, Sunday I went with them to church where Derek is part of the leadership and he explained to the congregation what I was doing and told them that there would be an extra collection made that day. They raised another £150.00. Incredible!
I left at one o'clock for my approximately 60mile ride to Loch Lomond YHA. The thought was scary as the roads around the edge of Glasgow are all large and often dual carriageway. I had some expert local advice from George (Tom Tom) and the luck of it being Sunday afternoon rather than Monday rush hour! Once across Erskin Bridge I have made it into the highlands of Scotland that I have been looking forward to. Low and behold the sun shone all the way to the hostel.
I made a new friend in Pat a teacher from Ireland travelling around the area for a few days with three French friends who are also teachers. We ended up talking into the night which is why I am writing this entry so late after the event.
I had my early morning chat with Keith from Park Radio based in Brokenhurst in the New Forest. He has been following my journey so far and you can listen to my burblings if you log on to his site.
Today I am off to Glencoe along the side of Loch Lomond and into the depths of the Scotish hills, this could be painful?

Comments

  1. As Steve says, you can follow his progress from The Park On-line's web site, which you'll find at:

    http://www.thepark.fm

    Good luck in your final week on the road Steve.

    From all at New Forest Community Media and The Park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOO proud of you Steve - and your family too!
    Nel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve, I'll be showing your blog to my lad Lewis who managed to do a 50 mile sponsored bike ride around the forest earlier in the year, he's been talking about the LE to JOG and I'd be grateful for any support in putting him off!

    Must go for a bike ride some time when you are back

    JB and the Mippy Clan
    http://www.mippy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you that have been following my journey. I Found it truly inspirational and hope that you have enjoyed reading about my misery and joys? And to be fair my misery could have been totally terrible, but it wasn't and I would say get on with your dreams and give it a lash, at least then you will know!
    Steve L

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My first proper day in the saddle...

The shame of Gretna Green