My first proper day in the saddle...



...was roasting. The sun shone first beautifully and then incessantly and finally mercilessly! The hills that had looked terrifyingly steep on the map were as bad as predicted, and for that reason I am so pleased that I only elected to look at the first day's contours, otherwise I think I would have put myself off long before.

The hills are so steep that my thigh muscles have been screaming for mercy since lunchtime that first day, and climbing each hill using every gear of the 27 available (and to be honest, skipping to lowest ones in the first few uphill pedal strokes) has become my trademark.

If a time frame camera was to be set up on me as I climb each hill, you would think I was dead, because the progression is so slow . . . watching paint dry would be more interesting!

The Eden Project - my first tourist stop of the trip - is totally amazing. Once I had got the blood back into my legs, and I could walk again, that is! In fact, too much needs to be said to do it justice, and as I am on someone else's computer right now, I will not try. Suffice to say, if you have not been, then go: you will be blown away.

Friday 3rd July - Second Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scotland Proper

The shame of Gretna Green