Crask Inn, where's that then?

Well wherever it is this tourist honey trap has been set and successfully and snares them regularly into the cafe above these falls, which to be honest is better than the falls themselves. How cynical, but I can say the Falls of Shin have great toilets! And of course good looking cyclists every now and then. This was a lucky day for them obviously!
The day started out early as I had to get to Dingwall a town about 18 miles along my my journey, but by nine o'clock'ish, as George had booked me in for some front brake therapy. Having an oil filled disc brake system I had thought, naively, that once the brake pads had been replaced before the trip that there would be no more to worry about! Well that didn't acount for a slightly loose nipple that let oil out and air in. So they very efficiently bled the brake and topped up the oil and adjusted my gears at the same time. I dilligently went to find a cafe and filled myself up with as many calories as I could manage!

As usual the day started beautifully with a slight freshness to the air, clear sky and sunshine. Unfortunately none of this helped me up the incredibly long 15% hill just outside of Drumnadroichit and into Glen Convinth. Where the clouds were below me weaving between the hills. I truly thought this was the hill that would beat me and make me have to admit to walking some of the way. The jacket came off, then the helmet, zips were unzipped and light headed out of breath stops made. But I did make it in the end although not in one go. (More training needed on this hill me thinks!)
Any way ducking around as ever with my stories I met three other lads that I had last seen at the Kendal YHA. they passed me as I was talking a photo, they had many too many miles left to achieve though to be able to stop quite as often as me. They were on their way to Tongue on the North coast, a distance of about 100 miles! Much too yuk for me! But we were able to share a very, very wet down pour into Bonar Bridge, a place I know nothing of to my shame, except that they have a very nice cafe sited right on the junction where the bridge crosses the river. And that it served me very well to eat more food and dry off a little. Three lovely old chaps came in just as I was leaving, they knew Southampton as they had embarked from there to Europe during the second world war. They were a little worried for me when they discovered that I was going up in to the hills across the bleak wilderness of Strath Tirry. I explained that that was the very reason for my journey today and that I was fully prepared, not least that I only had to go half way as I was stopping at Crask Inn the only building for several miles in any direction.
Another great little treat, Crask is owned by a farming couple and is more of a family home that welcomes passers by than a business, although I am very sure that they are quite wise and shrewed!

I slept in the cottage bunkhouse across the road from the Inn, very different to the one at Lochness in that it is very rudimentary and basic and so attracts only those happy with the great outdoors I would think?

That night they were expecting a bus full of families from a village down the road, Lairg on a 'mystery night' evening out! 60 or so people crammed into the bar with some games outside for the kids, although how anyone could expect anyone else to spend any time out there at all is beyond me as the midges were patrolling in hunting packs and showing no mercy!
The Céilidh (sort of like a barn dance) was supported by two musicians playing the accordian (box) and a guitar. Lots of laughter, too much drinking, some tears and lots of unruly, mischievous kids running amock all filled up with plenty of 'Stovies', kind of like shepherds pie but with less finess.
It was great for me to hear them play music by a Scottish band called Runrig live, it seemed all very authentic. They are quite a favourite in our family.
Anyway enough is enough and I went to bed, more than happy to leave them to it as they were planning a late night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scotland Proper

My first proper day in the saddle...

The shame of Gretna Green